Cart (0)

Types of Paint

• Author
    Scott Holcomb
    Participant

Just curious what types of paint other people are using out there for their big terrain models. For things like the Openlock Castle, where I will be using a ton of one color, I like to buy the small wall paint samples from a place like Home Depot. I basically get three shades of grey, and drybrush for hours at a very small fraction of the cost of miniature paints.

menzala83
    Participant

yeah thats a really cost effective way to do large projects like this, i go down and get them to colour match GW paints. they get pretty close.

adamspf
    Participant

I am using hobby store craft paints right now, but as my collection grows it might be better to follow your example. Do you use any specific color formulas?

menzala83
    Participant

@adamspf nah i just take a paint i want copied down to my local paint shop and get them match it. I use it straight out of the pot, sometimes ill water it down. Just make sure the model is primed well and the paint is Acrylic

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Avatar menzala83.
    woefulknightjb
    Participant

I use folkart paints that I buy at walmart for the projects that need a lot of paint. Mainly grays, browns, blacks, etc. Works great for 3d projects, not so much on plastic minis.

Gnomeinbrain
    Participant

For terrain priming and base coat I use Rustoleum 2x ultracover paint + Primer. For detail I use vajello and army painter paints.

https://www.amazon.com/Miniature-Painting-Bonus-Wargamer-Regiment/dp/B01MTXRUUT

Gnomeinbrain
    Participant

Vallejo paints. It would not let me edit.

menzala83
    Participant

That’s a nice paint job.

Dee Barker
    Keymaster

What a fabulous paint job, I really like to colour you have used for the roof tiles. What colour paint did you use?

Gnomeinbrain
    Participant

It’s Vallejo model color Red with a highlight of a lighter red and a home made dark brown/grey wash.

Dee Barker
    Keymaster

Thank you for that info, neat that you have experimented with your own wash colouring, great paint job.

Dee Barker
    Keymaster

Thank you for that info, neat that you have experimented with your own wash colouring, great paint job.

Voodoo
    Participant

I use a spray primer (dark grey or black), dry brush with cheepo craft paints, spray sealer coat. Now that I will be doing much larger projects I like the idea of getting small cans of basic colours at hardware stores. Very cost effective. Great idea Scott Holcomb. I will check Lowes/Rona.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 Printable Scenery. Website by Vienna & Bailey