Cart (0)

Problems printing Gloomwood Eyrie

• Author
      aylizia
      Participant

So i’m having problems printing the 2nd floor of the Gloomwood Eyrie, as you can see on the photos details are falling off and it’s only really this part that is having problems because as you can see the top is fine (photo).
      I print on a Prusa i3 mk3 – I have 2 of them and i’ve tried both printers so my conclusion was the profile settings, but I don’t know what to change to fix it.

Gnomeinbrain
      Participant

Can you post the pic?

aylizia
      Participant

I thought I did… I see now that it says” File exceeds allowed file size.” Let’s give that another go shall we.

Matt Barker
      Keymaster

Yes, those uprights are quite thin, if the Z is not perfectly aligned they can break. We could thicken the parts slightly to help with the printing.

Gnomeinbrain
      Participant

I had the same issue when I tried to print it. If you can thicken, I think that would help without detracting from the model.

p_comins
      Participant

I concur. (Printing on an Ender 3 using Cura 3.6). Thickening would help a lot. I’m printing double walls (.4 nozzle @ .16 layer height) with an additional wall every alternate layer (which helped with the Winterdale Wizard Tower where the balustrades were similarly frustrating breakage-wise) Oddly the internal window struts which are equally thin or thinner printed fine… just not the balustrades around the edge…

p_comins
      Participant

I dropped the travel speed from the stock 120m/s down to 100m/s in Cura after reading elsewhere that may help.
      And it did… until the very top of the balustrades when I had no less than 5 break off in quick succession about 2 layers before they all join at the top.. makes it a little more salvageable than my prior efforts – so changing that setting may help others.

aylizia
      Participant

Any chance this has been added to some sort of queue for updating the print? I really want to finish this print but i’ve yet to be successful even with tweaks mentioned here – and my Z should be aligned perfectly.

mikdc29
      Participant

What print speed are you currently using? The default print speed is like 45 mm/s

Matt
      Participant

With the smaller things like balustrades, branches and horns, Restricting your exterior wall printing speed by 5 to 10mm/s we’ve found helps the most if you’re having printing problems.

Gnomeinbrain
      Participant

Sam,

What profile/settings/filament do you use on your Original Prusa I3 MK3 to print these models?

Matt
      Participant

Generally with the Prusa, I run most of the settings at 0.2 or 0.1, 10% infill and print with a raft. I haven’t had to change as many settings in the slicer compared to running the Ender with Cura slicer for instance.

aylizia
      Participant

I finally got it printed – had to slow the print speed down to 35 mm/s and 35 hrs later it’s finally ready to be painted!
      Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Matt
      Participant

Awesome to hear it printed well!

Matthew Horbund
      Participant

I know it’s a year later, and people have obviously been successful. However, my roof has failed 9 times. It’s always on the same part. I’ve turned the roof about 15 degrees 3 times, moved it on the bed, it always fails on the same part every time. I’ve slowed it down, i’ve cooled it off, nothing works. I’m using a Raise3D N2 and slicing with Simpify3d. I’m using 3d FUel PLA at 205 and have done tons of prints successfully, including level 1 and 2 of the tree plus a 100 hour Mage Tower from the Titan Forge Patreon this month.

I’ve even added a 30x30x60 tower off to the corner to force the head to move off the print so that it cools the part. I’ve attached a screenshot of the section that always fails. It does seem to fail around the same spot usually, about the 5.5mm mark

Edit after a while – i tried 4 more prints, adding a raft, changing the initial layer height for more “squish” and even the layer width from 0.4 to 0.6 to see if that helps. if anything its worse now, failing before the first 5 layers.

Has anyone done anything other than just drop this on the plate and print to be successful?

Matthew Horbund
      Participant

Had to reprint this 13 times. i finally got it, it was a function of slowing down to 30mm/s (i usually print at 50mm/s) and a lot of sacrificing…,

Nicholas Jebson
      Participant

Glad to hear they worked out for you Matthew.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Resolving 3D Printing Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.
©2024 Printable Scenery. Website by Vienna & Bailey