Cart (0)

Problem with printing wood/wood tiles

• Author
      ssandulak
      Participant

Hey all! I just recently procured an FDM printer (Artillery Sidewinder X1) that I’m using primarily for bigger things like terrain and boats (printed the Sloop so far!)

One issue I am having is that whenever I print a wood texture, I get a ton of little blobs/blotches on the top surface. I’m assuming it’s from the retraction but I’ve tried all kinds of settings and I can’t seem to figure out the problem. I’m looking for anyone else who’s printed these before or knows a ton about FDM printing. I’ve gone through various youtube videos and tutorials but nothing has seemed to fix the problem. I seem to have issues on the top layer regardless of texture, but it’s accentuated when there’s wood grain.

I’ve attached a picture below of the issue (on the plank against the barrel). I’ve also attached my current cura profile (I’m using 4.2.1, as I was told that was a fairly stable slicer).

Attachments:
      Nicholas Jebson
      Participant

Hey Ssandulak
      There are a couple of factors that might be causing this, Either its Temperature, over-extrusion or a retraction issue. unfortunately Cura profiles tend to have errors in them when they are uploaded so i cant see what we are working with, but fiddling with those settings will help out.

ssandulak
      Participant

I’ve tweaked all those settings to some degree, and it’s gotten better, still not ideal, but I’ll keep working on it. I’m currently printing at .15 layer height (for a mix between speed and quality) at varying speeds, 70 mm/s, 50 mm/s and 30 mm/s, 205 extruder temp, 65 bed. Fairly basic retraction settings, 1mm retraction, 15 mm/s retraction speed (this seemed to help a lot, it was started at 45mm/s as per some recommendations, but I found lowering this decreased the size of the pimples/frequency of them). Also calibrated the extruder, as best I can anyways, so hopefully that’s not a failing point anymore.

I’ve also been fiddling with combing, to see if that would help things.

If anyone else has any ideas, I’d love to hear it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by ssandulak.
      Brian Smith
      Participant

I also have the Sidwinder X1, here is a link to a calibration guide that really helped me when I first started 3d Printing.

Artillery Sidewinder X1 calibration guide

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Resolving 3D Printing Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.
©2024 Printable Scenery. Website by Vienna & Bailey