May 1, 2021 at 4:09 am #273288
I’ve been working on printing my Rampage Crypt tiles, but I keep having problems with the PLA grinding due to all the retracts from the supports. I literally get to about 20% and it starts going THUNK THUNK THUNK and then at some point soon after it jams. What’s happening is all the retractions are making the filament go flat.
Does anyone know what the “magic bullet” is to prevent this from happening? I’ve only successfully built one floor tile thus far. I have both the Cura and Prusa slicers.
Pretty much Ender 3 preferred settings on Cura- 6mm retraction at 25 mm/s, retraction max 10, min extrusion distance window 4mm, min extrusion travel 2.5 (or so; Cura has a nasty habit of dumping my settings). 20% infill. Prusa, I was using mainly the default settings but with infill turned up to 20%.
May 3, 2021 at 8:47 am #273632
After another failed build, I switched filament to some that I’d gotten with my Ender, and it printed successfully. No jams, no nothing. I’m thinking it could be a filament problem, not a settings problem.
May 3, 2021 at 9:26 am #273637
What was the original filament? It might have just been that the filament was older and had been moisture-contaminated or something like that to make it far more brittle.
May 3, 2021 at 11:14 am #273645
So, moisture is always a problem here? The relative humidity can break 90% on a bad day. It’s only about 60% right now. But I kinda doubt it’s a major factor given how the bad filament was giving me jamming problems from literally day one, literally right out of the box. It shipped in a hermetically sealed bag with silica packets. While the good stuff shipped in a ziploc baggie.
Only difference I could tell was the good stuff has a different texture? Feels rougher, somehow. The bad stuff feels more plasticky.
May 10, 2021 at 4:55 am #274624
Bit of an update in case anyone’s tracking this?
Y’know how Ender 3s are supposed to have problems with the extruder spring not being stiff enough? It turned out the least likely thing happened: I got an Ender 3 with a spring that was squeezing the filament way too hard. And after an incident where a fitting broke, I’m having to do a bunch of upgrades that’re functional repairs: double drive extruder, capricorn tube, whole nine yards.
Either way, I’ll keep you posted.
May 10, 2021 at 9:10 am #274648
oh wow, yeah I have never heard of them being over, tensioned only ever under. I have heard that the Ender 3 is great to start but you quite quickly want to upgrade it to get the most out of it. definitely let us know how it all goes, especially with the dual drive extruder as we may be looking to replace some parts soon and would love some recomendations.
May 11, 2021 at 12:19 pm #274811
Yeah, that caught me by surprise as well. The old silver spring I had, was about as stiff as one of those yellow springs! I’ve attached a pic of what it was doing to my filament (which I’m still not entirely sure of).
So, I used the weak silver spring that came with the dual gear. That way I can add spacers or whatever as needed, or switch to the yellow spring that also came with it. Easier to add tension than remove it. It doesn’t bite into the filament anywhere near as bad as the old one. Still waiting on the Capricorn tube, so I can get the whole thing re- assembled and fully calibrated, maybe re- run the temperature tower, and try again.
May 14, 2021 at 5:34 am #275167
Think it’s all sorted out. From what it looks like, it was the extruder spring being way too stiff. The current spring feels like a stock Ender 3 extruder spring, or possibly a hair stiffer because it didn’t need spacers and the stock one often does.
The upgrades I ended up doing: Winsinn extruder (it’s red), Capricorn TL tube, and improved PTFE tube couplings. The Winsinn extruder takes a larger coupling, but thankfully it’s included. Calibrated the esteps (140.3 for mine, which is around average for the Winsinn), re- ran a temperature tower, and then started doing floor tiles. I now have three: one from yesterday and two more from this morning. So I think this problem is solved?
One caveat on the Winsinn extruder: there’s reports that some are shipping with the wrong idler bearing retainer screw. Mine shipped with the correct one- it has only a few millimeters of thread and the rest is smooth (I don’t have a part number, sorry). The wrong screw is threaded all the way and causes premature bearing wear. I’m mentioning it here because I don’t think any of the video reviews address it.
May 14, 2021 at 9:45 am #275212
Cheers for that Darth, I hadn’t heard of those reports so it’s good to get the PSA out there. I think I had that issue with my home Wanhao printer when the extruder motor went and I ended up upgrading the whole thing trying to find what was going wrong XD. the upgraded part (Can’t remember the brand unfortunately) wore out really quickly because of a similar issue (ended up just buying an Ender 5 to replace it and using the Wanhao for parts/ terrain)
- The forum ‘Resolving 3D Printing Problems’ is closed to new topics and replies.