Cart (0)

Supports?

Tagged: 

• Author
      rbross-misc
      Participant

Hi! These models are amazing, and I’m excited to get to printing them. I’m starting with the Hermit Tower, and it’s clear that you’ve spent some time trying to reduce the need for supports (which is great!). Still, as I look at the base pt.2, for example, I’m seeing some bits that I’m skeptical will come out well.

In general should I just turn on supports for these models and prep myself for some cleanup? Is there a slicer you prefer, or use of MeshMixer to generate tree supports, or any other hints?

Thanks!

Rob

Nicholas Jebson
      Participant

It all depends on the printer that you have as to what slicer to use. I tend to find the Prussa slicer has more support and infill options but I’m not sure how good other machines are at interpreting it. generally for my Wanhau I3 at home I have just used Cura.

give it a go without the supports as what stringing there might be will probably be less than the clean-up of the supports

rbross-misc
      Participant

Sounds like a plan. I’m using PrusaSlicer also, painted on some supports under the railing, so far otherwise things have been good. Thanks for the response!

Nicholas Jebson
      Participant

No worries Rbross. Would be great to see the final result and how easy the supports were to remove from between those railings.

michael.burl
      Participant

I’m starting with the Hermit Tower as well. The thing that’s got me most concerned is the interior flat section of the Hermit Tower Roof Base Pt1, but I’m a long way away from that as I am only 10% into the Hermit Tower Base Pt1. I’m printing with the Snapmaker 2 and using Luban for slicing with no supports. Fingers are crossed it goes well.

@nickj
      is there a community forum for posting backer’s prints?

Nicholas Jebson
      Participant

There is the Facebook page or the Printable scenery and openlock group on Facebook, or you can post them to the Shadowfey forum here.

Stephen Shea
      Participant

I printed the tower with supports for the inside of the roof and the railing only. Everything else turned out fine, there is a couple spots of stringing on one peoxe but these are minor and inside the tower so not really visible. I attached a photo after priming, those are the jagged rock piles in front of the tower.

rbross-misc
      Participant

For anyone else wondering: The supports weren’t necessary and were a pain to remove :). The bridging under the roof top worked fine also!

Nicholas Jebson
      Participant

The print looks great @stephen Shea! Glad to hear the bridging was a success though its never fun trying to dig out supports Rbross, Though good to hear its all ready to go now.

Richard Baker
      Participant

I’m printing The Ruined quarter at the moment and it’s clear that some of these railings will fail on my Ender 3 V2 without supports (they are a horizontal span of at least 4-5 cm). In fact I’m watching Ruined-Quarters-Base-Opt2-v1.1 now and it’s failing at the wooden railing. How can you print a horizontal span without supports as advertised!?

Nicholas Jebson
      Participant

In Cura you can turn on a bridging setting by going to Preferences > configure Acura > settings and scrolling down to the experimental options. Down there you will find options for bridging, which will allow the printer to build along a flat plain between two points without the need for supports in between

Anonymous
      Inactive

This is actually the kind of information I have been trying to find. Thank you for sharing this information.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Shadowfey Kickstarter’ is closed to new topics and replies.
©2024 Printable Scenery. Website by Vienna & Bailey