Cart (0)

Roof as a Solid or Not

• Author
      Brian Etty
      Participant

The one thing I am a bit concerned with as these files release is that the roof on each piece will be a solid object. The cottage was not too bad but I really noticed it on the Homestead roof. Given the size of these models even with a 10% infill I am just concerned that without even a basic geometric hollowing inside the roof that its alot of plastic and print time that is going to be essentially wasted filling in a gap that I question if it should be there.

What I mean by basic geometric hollow is simple block and triangle hollowing knowing that the inside of the roof won’t be seen by anyone and would not require any detail work on the inside.

Just curious if I am barking up the wrong tree and that it would not take less plastic because the infill is only 10% etc. Am I wrong, or is this a concern for others.

Anonymous
      Inactive

cool

SuperJim
      Participant

I’ve been thinking about this, on the one hand you have infill, but with the alternative you would have a complete inner perimeter, which might use even more plastic. I have the homestead roof printing atm, and it’s going to take about 30 hours. Unfortunately the provided supports are too weak and have mostly snapped off (not from the bed; snapped half way up) so I’m not sure how good the quality will be.

Brian Etty
      Participant

I think if you use basic geometric shapes for the inside on the large printer format there should be no need for supports as you have the outer-shell which would come up a the angles of the top pyramid. I have printing many roofs where they only start with the very outer edge and converge at the top and I think again for the large format it should not be a concern.

I assume your printing small form for the homestead, as on the large I finished it with no supports. The 1.4 version the 1.3 gave me nothing but trouble. Even ripped my magnetic bed off my Prusa mini on one attempt.

SuperJim
        Participant

I’m printing the homestead roof @ 100%. It requires supports for several overhangs, and they have provided a pre-supported version (which I am using). I’ve attached a photo of the print in progress, and you can see the supports (which are broken).

Attachments:
      Brian Etty
      Participant

I printed it straight from the base directory no supports. There is a little bit of filament looping you can see but otherwise had no problem with it. Not sure if the supports would have made a huge difference but some of it might have come out cleaner.

Attachments:
      David Ramsay
      Participant

I had wondered about the solid roof material usage as well so I hollowed a roof in Prusa, exported the STL then sliced in Cura to discover it uses around the same amount of material as it being completely solid with my typical printing settings. I like using Cura’s “Lines” infill setting as it prints a line in one direction then skips on the next layer to print in the opposite direction. This gives pretty dense bridging support at low infill percentages. I’m printing at 6% infill currently and could potentially go lower depending on the part. Obviously other infill setting will be stronger but I feel the infill is just required to complete the print, the walls are strong enough by themselves.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Hagglethorn Hollow Kickstarter’ is closed to new topics and replies.
©2024 Printable Scenery. Website by Vienna & Bailey