Cart (0)

Beginner question: What PLA to use?

• Author
      nemethbzol
      Participant

Dear Community,
      Just found these great models, and I recently purchased ‘Lost Library of Ithillia’. I read the ‘Additional information’ on the product page, but is says nothing about PLA.
      Can someone from Printable Scenery or from the community give some recommendations which PLA to use? My goal is quality print.
      Thanks in advance!

mantisboy47
      Participant

My recommendation would be whatever is currently working well in your printer. I use as inexpensive as I can find on Amazon (mostly black Solutech)and have very few problems. I have a friend who swears by Hatchbox and won’t use anything but that. I believe, like paint, it is an individual preference.

jason.knudsen
      Participant

I’ve had great success using Prusament PLA on my Prusa Mk3s. It’s a bit on the pricer end, but you can acquire it from Amazon (mostly) now, or shipping direct is really fast (with a fairly reasonable charge). I generally stick with Black, or Galaxy Black (if not painting).

I generally print at 0.15 layer height to get some decent details out of the print without it taking ages to print. I also generally downscale to 75% as well.

See: https://www.printablescenery.com/forums/topic/demonhelm/

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by jason.knudsen.
        tripoc82
        Participant

I always forget about the 0.15mm I like the way 0.1 comes out but well this thing will take you about 6 days like that lol. 0.2 looks fine it depends how anal you are I guess,

nemethbzol
      Participant

Thanks a lot for the answers!

nemethbzol
      Participant

Hi,

Just came into my mind… What PLA color to choose? For lighter colored buildings, like Lost Library of Ithillia the print color should be white, is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
      Participant

I primarily use dark grey as white and black are too hard to see very well when in progress printing. I prime everything that isn’t translucent filament for painting afterwards

TTR Steve
      Participant

eSun PLA+ filament gets a lot of recommendations in the 3d printing FB groups I’m in. I’ve just ordered my first spool so I’ll let you know!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Getting Started’ is closed to new topics and replies.
©2024 Printable Scenery. Website by Vienna & Bailey